Thursday, July 5, 2012

live music

Tonight was the first in the summer Twilight Concert Series in Salt Lake City (seriously folks...SLC is one of the best places to spend your summer).  This concert series use to be free, but this year they began charging $5.00.  Best. Idea. Ever.  It was still packed, and I learned how to roll a joint with a one dollar bill...so that was neat...but it definitely was not as crowded and full of crazies as the two previous years.  I won't lie, I miss the days of the TCS being at the Galivan Center and being much more low key, but I love music...especially live music.

There is just something so fabulous about being outside and listening to music.  Tonight The Walkmen opened for Beach House.  Two bands that I was familiar with; two bands I enjoy.  But after tonight... I LOVE THEM BOTH! Watching bands perform live...I don't know what it is, but I love them that much more.  Even with artists I love, my love deepens after seeing them live.

And sometimes, it is what makes me fall in love with an album that I was not all that in love with previously.  For example, when Brandi Carlile released Give Up the Ghost, I definitely loved some of the songs on that album, but I was not madly in love with the album that way I was with her first two albums...not until I saw her perform songs from that album live (in fact I saw her perform the entire album live).  After that, there is not one song on that album that I do not love. Which makes me hopeful for next weekend when I see her perform at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.  I am not madly in love with Bear Creek.  In fact it is probably my least favorite album of hers but I have a feeling that I am going to be more in love come July 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment